Steps of Article Writing
Article Writing Format: Suppose you have some opinions regarding a topic and you want to tell people about it. How will you do so? You can tell the opinions to persons near you. But what if you want to tell not only those people but, say, the world? How will you do so? You will write those opinions, isn’t it?
Many a time you have seen some writers or people write their problems and suggestions in some newspapers, magazines, and journals or in their blogs. They are writing their opinions and beliefs in the form of an article. In this section, we will get ourselves familiar with article writing and the article writing format.
An article is a piece of writing written for a large audience. The main motive behind writing an article is that it should be published in either newspapers or magazines or journals so as to make some difference to the world.
It may be the topics of interest of the writer or it may be related to some current issues. The topic can either be serious or not-so-serious; Same goes for its tone and language.
Browse more Topics under Article Writing
- Definition, Essential Elements of Article Writing
Objectives of Article Writing
An article is written with the following objectives
- It brings out the topics or the matter of interest in the limelight
- The article provides information on the topics
- It offers suggestions and pieces of advice
- It influences the readers and urges them to think
- The article discusses various stories, persons, locations, rising-issues, and technical developments
The Format of Article Writing
An article must be organized in a proper way so as to draw the attention of the readers. The basic outline for an article writing format is
- Heading / Title
- A line having the writer’s name
- Body (the main part of the article, 2 – 3 paragraphs)
- Conclusion (Ending paragraph of the article with the opinion or recommendation, anticipation or an appeal)
Steps for Article Writing Format
Think of the topic you want to write the article about. Only after you’ve decided your topic you can go ahead and undertake the further steps in the process one by one:
- Target Audience: Identify the concerning reading group
- Purpose: Find the objective or aim of writing the article
- Collect & Select: Gather as such information as possible. Also, identify the details that are most significant
- Organize: Arrange the information and the facts in a logical way
Once you’ve taken care of all the Above steps you move forward to the final step- Writing.
- While writing an article, always use proper grammar , spelling , and proper punctuations
- Use vocabulary skill
- Keep the introduction of the topic catching, interesting, and short
- Discuss the opinion and the matter in an organized and descriptive manner
Common Mistakes in the Article Writing Format
Now that you know the steps of article writing and the article writing format, the occurrence of mistakes becomes obvious. Some of the common mistakes are:
- Not using facts or quotes or similar cases
- The language should not be too formal
- The article must be in easy language for better understanding
- The title of the article must be catchy and clearly understandable
- No use of paragraphs
- Expressing personal views is fine but the author must never talk about himself/herself
Points to Keep in Mind for the Article Writing Format
- The topics of the articles should be unique and relevant
- The article has to get attention
- It has to be interesting
- It has to be easy to read
- The reader is identified
- Find the main goal of writing an article. The goal can be anything from providing information, entertainment, and advice or for comparing, etc.
- The title must be eye-catching, clear, and interesting
- The introduction or the starting paragraph must be highly attentive. Use your vocabulary skills or try to use some interrogative words for the start
- Use clear statements and make assertions
- Avoid repetition and over the top logic and reasons
- Use the style of paragraph writing and write the contents uniquely and unambiguously
- Avoid using the points which interest you only and not for the general public
- Write a good and logical ending
Solved Example on Steps of Article Writing
Problem: Classify the following into Do’s and Don’ts in article writing.
- Write very lengthy articles
- Add the writer’s name
- The title should be lengthy and clear
- The heading of the article should be short, clear and informative
- Only the introduction and the conclusion should be attractive and attention seeking
- Target the audience
- One can advise, suggest and give the solutions to a problem in any paragraph other than the starting one
- The language and the style of writing should be according to the concerning readers
- There must be only three paragraphs in an article – introduction, middle one, and conclusion
- Use proper punctuations
- Use any tense , person, voice, as many abbreviations , and self-made words while writing an article
Which class are you in?
Exam English ✓
- B2 First (FCE)
- Reading & Use of English
- Cambridge exams
Free Practice Tests for learners of English
Five things you need to know about writing articles.
In Cambridge First or Cambridge Advanced , you might be asked to write an article. But do you know what makes an article different from other types of writing? 1 The reader is identified An article is like a direct conversation with the reader. The exam question might tell you who your readers are. For example, the students at a school, or the people living in a town or people who are interested in sports. Everything you write must speak to that reader and engage their interest right from the first sentence. 2 It has to get attention If you're anywhere on the internet these days, you'll be bombarded with articles with headlines that pull the reader in. It's called "click baiting" and all the writer is trying to do is make you open the page to read their article. You need to think like a journalist when you're writing your article. Look at the heading and the first line of this article. How did I get your attention?* 3 It has to be interesting For an article to work, it has to be engaging enough to read all the way through. Remember how bored the examiner must be after reading fifty exam papers. Make it easier for them to get a good impression about your writing by entertaining them. Add humour, real life or made up examples, or make up quotes. 4 It has to be easy to read Use subheadings to break up the text and make clear paragraphs. Write in a semi-informal, conversational style. And make sure there is organisation to your ideas. The planning stage is vital for this. Spend 5-10 minutes brainstorming ideas and choose the best three or four. Think what your subheadings might be and then write a short introduction that lets the reader know what to expect. Keep in mind that you want the reader to keep reading, so don't tell them exactly what they will read. This is not an essay! In an essay you usually restate the question, explain how you will answer it and maybe say why it's important. In an article, that will kill the reader's interest. Look back at this paragraph. What sentence style have I used that makes it semi-informal and speak directly to the reader?** 5 Write a good ending In an essay you sum up the points that have gone before and draw a conclusion from that. But in an article, it's better to give the reader something to think about, perhaps by asking them another question or giving them a call to action. Often, the best endings link back to the starting point in some way. Here are two endings I could use for this article:
- Look at your internet browsing history from the last day. Which articles got your attention? Can you see how they did it?
- So, now you know how to write an article, why don't you write one giving advice on something you know about?
Common mistakes students make in articles
- The language is too formal and more suited to essays. Avoid words like: to sum up, some people say, nevertheless, on one hand etc.
- They don't use quotes or examples
- They either use not enough, or too many, questions. The questions, called rhetorical questions because they don't require an answer, shouldn't be more than one per paragraph. Good examples are:
- Have you ever ……..?
- What do you think about ……..?
- Are you one of those people who thinks that ……?
- What would life be like if ……?
- Will the future bring us ….. ?
* A title which makes the subject immediately clear. For some reason, people like reading lists! And a direct, rhetorical question in the first paragraph to make readers want to find out the answer. ** I've used the imperative to give instructions. E.g. Think…Keep in mind…Write…Spend…
Article contributed by Nicola Prentis who is a teacher and materials writer, based in Madrid and London. She is the author of Speaking Skills (B2+) - a self study book with Collins.
First (FCE) Writing tests
- Writing part 1 (essay)
- Writing part 2 (review)
- Writing part 2 (article)
- Writing part 2 (email)
- Writing part 2 (report)
- How to write an article
- Writing essay introductions
- Brainstorming ideas for essays
- Answer the question!
First (FCE) Sections
- Cambridge First (FCE)
- Article Writing
Article Writing Format: Explore How To Write, Example Topics and Tips
Have some great ideas, opinions and suggestions you wish you could share so that it could reach readers all around the world? One of the best ways to get your thoughts across the globe is by writing an article. There are techniques you can use to write the different types of articles. This piece on article writing will give you all the tips and tricks you need to master before you start writing your article.
Table of Contents
The art of writing an article, how do i write a good article – tips and techniques, article writing samples, faqs on article writing.
An article is a piece of writing which explicates ideas, thoughts, facts, suggestions and/or recommendations based on a particular topic. There are different kinds of articles, namely:
- Expository article – The most common type of article which allows the writer to put out information on any particular topic without the influence of their opinions.
- Argumentative article – An article in which an author poses a problem or an issue, renders a solution to the proposed problem and provides arguments to justify why their suggestions/solutions are good.
- Narrative article – An article in which the author has to narrate mostly in the form of a story.
- Descriptive article – An article written with the aim of providing a vivid description that would allow the readers to visualise whatever is being described. Using the right adjectives / adjective phrases is what will help you write a descriptive article.
- Persuasive article – An article aimed at persuading or convincing the readers to accept an idea or a point of view.
Writing an article takes a lot of effort on the side of the writer. Content writers/creators, bloggers, freelance writers and copywriters are people who have mastered the art of article writing, without which they would not be able to make their mark as a writer of any kind.
In order to be able to write an article that makes sense in the first place, you have to keep a few things in mind.
- The first and foremost thing that you have to take care of when you are sitting down to write your article is to check if you are well aware of the topic you are going to write on.
- The second thing that you have to ask yourself is why you are writing the article.
- The next thing that you have to focus on is the kind of audience you are writing the article for because unless you know your audience, you will not be able to write it in a way that makes them want to read it.
- The language you use is very important because, without the right spelling, correct grammar , punctuation and sensible sentence structure , the article would not be able to sell itself.
- Use keywords so that you get a good number of reading audiences.
- Maintain coherence within and between paragraphs.
- Double-check the data and information you provide, irrespective of the type of article.
- Keep the title and description as short and catchy as possible.
- Edit and proofread before it is published.
To help you understand better and practise the art of article writing, read through the articles given below:
Can I write a good article?
If you know all the information about the topic you are going to write about, a good hand over the language, a knack to keep it simple and interesting throughout, you can write a good article.
What is the format of an article?
The article should have a title/heading and a description that states what the article is about. The body of the article can be split into 3 to 5 paragraphs according to the volume of content with respect to the topic you are discussing. You can have subheadings and use bullet points wherever possible. Make sure your introduction makes people want to read the whole article and your conclusion leaves them satisfied.
How many paragraphs should there be in an article?
An article should have a minimum of 3 to 4 paragraphs. The writer is, however, given the choice to present the content in more than four paragraphs, if it would be better for the article.
Leave a Comment Cancel reply
Your Mobile number and Email id will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Request OTP on Voice Call
Post My Comment
- Share Share
Register with BYJU'S & Download Free PDFs
Register with byju's & watch live videos.
Write smarter with our new features for professionals.
How to start writing an article: step-by-step guide.
The ParagraphAI Team
- Updated on 09/12/2022
Want to write an article but are unsure ofow to adequately convey a message to your intended audience? Getting started can be challenging, especially if you’re still organizing your thoughts or deciding on an appropriate tone. If you find yourself struggling with how to start writing an article, following a few simple steps can streamline the process. With the right strategies on your side, you’ll be creating well-written articles in no time.
Using an established strategy makes the business of article writing a smooth journey rather than a daunting task. However, if you want to make the steps for how to write a good article a breeze, then it’s time to leverage AI. Exploring the endless opportunity that lies within a free AI writing tool like ParagraphAI can streamline the techniques behind what makes a good article, giving your readers the information they need.
What is an Article?
What is article writing ? Article writing is a form of written communication aimed at engaging a wide audience through various media outlets. In the context of article writing, these media outlets encompass publishing entities such as newspapers, magazines, journals, and more.
Articles are written works intended for a wide audience to view, and traditionally are published in magazines, newspapers, or journals. Therefore they are typically shorter than other forms of writing, such as books or essays.
If you’re contemplating how to write a great article, a key point to remember is that it can be about any topic, from current events to personal experiences. They are intended to inform, educate, or entertain the reader. As you gain proficiency in organizing your thoughts, understanding your audience, and building a coherent structure, you will inevitably learn how to write articles fast, a skill that improves over time.
What Should Be in an Article?
As with any medium designed to deliver any type of information, there should be coherent follow. Regarding articles, it can begin with how to start writing an article and then transition into a logical structure that introduces, explores, and delivers the main point of the article. You can achieve this by creating the following sections:
- Title: Something that will make the reader want to learn more about the topic.
- Introduction: Where you present the topic and summarize the main points of the article.
- Body: The main argument, made up of supporting paragraphs.
- Conclusion: Summarization of the argument and call to action.
By following this structure and these article writing tips, your articles will effectively communicate their arguments in a clear and concise manner to your audience.
How to Write an Article
Here is a quick list to get started on articles:
Find a topic.
Find your target audience., perform research on your story to create trust., write an outline., get a rough draft together., create the subject matter., read and or share with friends for any errors..
Before proceeding, one should first consider the topic of the article and what its objective is. Is the article meant to be informative or entertaining? Perhaps you are making an argument to convince the reader of something. This would be a good starting point if you’re wondering how to start writing an article.
With your topic in mind, also consider your audience. What might draw them in? If you were someone with less knowledge on this topic, what questions would you want this article to answer? This is where tips for writing an article can be really useful. Think about your writing from the perspective of potential readers. This process will help you communicate your ideas are clearly and make your content a good read.
Research will be a necessary step for most articles intending to inform or argue a certain topic, as supporting evidence allows you to write with more credibility. Drawing from your experience can also provide unique insights, as people might find value in your anecdotes. Seeking out statistics, quotes from interviews, and references from academic publications is an important step in creating a well-informed argument.
(Source: Wings )
You will also have to come up with a title for your article, which should be eye-catching while accurately reflecting the content of your writing. It can be helpful to brainstorm a few ideas and consider which one fits the main idea while being the most engaging to a potential reader looking to learn more about the topic.
When writing an introduction, you will want an interesting hook that draws the reader in and a brief overview of your article. This is where you can set the tone for your article and deliver the thesis statement that the following paragraphs will support.
The body is then made up of paragraphs that each will support the main point that was laid out in the introduction. This is where you will dig deeper into your arguments and answer any questions that you anticipate readers may have going into the article. The paragraphs should ideally be short and concise to retain the reader’s interest.
For your conclusion, you should summarize the main point as a means of tying up all of the points made by the article. With an effective call to action to close out your argument, you will leave the audience reflecting on your writing.
How to Write an Article in ParagraphAI in Two Easy Steps
While developing techniques for how to write an article more efficiently, learning to make use of a free writing tool such as ParagraphAI is a worthwhile way to increase your productivity. If you’re curious about how to write an article using AI, this is the perfect place to start. If you’re looking to brainstorm ideas, structure your thoughts, or come up with words and phrases to use in your articles, ParagraphAI has you covered. This tool can provide help in a variety of ways. Here’s how you can get started.
Step 1: Enter Your Topic
By supplying ParagraphAI with the topic of your article, it generates an introduction paragraph and two body paragraphs. This gives you a strong starting point with which you can work off of to write the rest of your article. However, the article produced is unquestionably incomplete as it lacks a conclusion—and in the case of this Macbeth article, body paragraphs exploring the other two themes mentioned in the introduction need to be addressed. This is a good thing to remember and understand to utilize the tool effectively. Luckily, this can be remedied.
Step 2: Prompt Using Specifics
For any paragraphs left that you may need to complete your article, you can enter the topic of that paragraph specifically and plug that result into your article to fill in the gaps.
In the case of a body paragraph, you would enter one of the supporting ideas that help to make up your overall point, while with a conclusion paragraph, you would enter the thesis from the introduction in order to summarize the whole article. With everything assembled, you have a complete article to revise as needed!
With the right understanding of how to write an article and the importance of one’s structure, style=”color: #EC693F”ParagraphAI can help you create articles more efficiently than ever before.
Once you’ve decided on your topic, you can start your article off strong with a click of a button and similarly create the rest of your paragraphs as you go along.
So if you’ve got an article to write, consider getting some assistance from ParagraphAI’s free AI writing tool. You may be surprised at how quickly you’ll be able to organize and present your thoughts.
Harness the limitless potential of AI
Meet ParagraphAI – your AI ally for writing that’s fast, effortless, and crystal clear, ensuring each of your messages lands just right.
Your writing, at its best.
Download ParagraphAI’s FREE AI writer and see how it takes your writing to the next level.
The Top 10 Places The World’s First GPT-3 System Keyboard Can Help You
The best places to use the world’s first GPT-powered AI writing system keyboard.
How to Write a Resume
It may seem difficult at first—perhaps you’re getting caught up in what vocabulary to use, or maybe you’re having trouble organizing your thoughts.
Write a Translation
An ai writer for students, ceos, and everyone in between, meet your ai writing assistant.
- write paragraphs
- write emails
- write lists
- write articles
- write translations
- write blog posts
- write an outline
- write ad copy
- write product descriptions
- write technical manuals
- write song lyrics & poetry
- write reports
- write newsletters
- write a story
- write social media posts, tweets, and hashtags
- write corporate communications
- write seo-friendly content
- write press releases
- write messages
- write presentations, speeches, and scripts
- write a cover letter
- write news reports
- write website content
- write sales proposals
- write real estate listings
- write a resume
- write an essay
Writing, grammar, and communication tips for your inbox.
Home » How to Start Writing an Article: Step-by-Step Guide
ParagraphAI builds AI writing software with love. Our AI writing app and keyboard is built by a team of expert engineers, designers, thought-leaders and students from Meta, MIT, OpenAI and beyond.
Support Plans Tutorials Affiliates Ethics Book a Demo
Get it Free
ParagraphAI is the #1 AI Writing Assistant App and Keyboard for iOS, Android and Chrome.
Copyright © 2023 ParagraphAI Inc., All rights reserved. The world’s first GPT powered AI writing app & keyboard.
Writing an article
The purpose of an article is often to inform and persuade the reader.
Articles give the reader information about a certain topic, bringing together and discussing different perspectives to provide a balanced argument which lets the reader make up their own mind about the topic.
Articles can also be used to persuade the reader that a certain viewpoint is correct. For example, articles in newspapers or magazines might express a particular viewpoint or perspective; this may be positive or negative depending on the topic.
The ways you use language and organise your ideas when writing an article will depend on the audience and the purpose you are writing for.
- think about the audience that the article is for – w hen writing an article, you do not usually know your readers personally and so you will need to think about their likely interests and experience before you write
- how you expect, or want, your audience to react – re member that the tone of most articles should be semi-formal, so before deciding on your tone imagine your article being read out loud and how that might sound to your reader. For example, an article reviewing a film may be humorous, even sarcastic, but that would not work well for more serious readers or topics
- the purpose for the article – is th e purpose, or reason, for writing your article to persuade your readers to agree with you or to invite your readers to think about different points of view and decide for themselves? For example, do you need to sound reliable and well informed, or choose words that strongly convey a particular emotion?
- how to keep your readers interest – ima gine how boring it would be for your reader if you used the same kind of sentences and simple repetitive vocabulary all the way through your article. Try to include a range of grammatical structures and relevant vocabulary to make sure that your reader wants to keep reading.
- Plan a route through your article before you start writing it – th e structure of an article is usually in three parts. For example:
- An introduction – engage your reader’s interest and introduce your argument or the main points of the topic to be discussed.
- A middle – develop relevant and interesting points about the topic to interest and/or convince your readers to think about a particular perspective.
- An end – d raw your points together and leave your reader with a clear impression of the argument you want them to believe or the viewpoints you would like them to consider.
- Organise your ideas into paragraphs as appropriate – this will help you to develop and support your points convincingly, to build your argument and/or offer a full explanation of a particular point of view.
- Show your reader at a glance what your article is about – articles usually have a suitable headline to attract their readers’ attention and you can choose to use subheadings (a bit like mini headlines) to help break your article up and move your reader on. Do not overdo these, but well-chosen subheadings can help to catch and keep your reader’s attention, as well as sum up the main points you are making.
- Show the connections between ideas in sentences and paragraphs – for example, where a new point or idea follows on from what you have already said you might use linking words or phrases such as, 'in addition’, ‘likewise’ or ‘similarly’.
- Example of an article
Talk to our experts
- Article Writing
Definition of Article Writing
An article writing is a kind of writing that is written to reach a massive audience with the help of the press. In the case of article writing, the press refers to publishing houses of newspapers, magazines, journals, etc. Writing a newspaper article, or writing a magazine article is not easy. It requires a lot of research and writing skills. It is written in such a way that it can inform the masses about a certain topic. The main aim of the writer here is to bring some difference in the world by changing the views of the people through article writing.
Types of Article Writing
There are various types of article writings. These are writing a newspaper article, writing a magazine article, SEO article writing, online article writing, freelance article writing, and many more.
There are divisions among these articles also. Some of the articles, like online article writing, freelance article writing, can be descriptive, or narrative that depends upon the writer and the client for whom the writer works. There are a few types of article writing that most people know about. It includes narrative and descriptive types but there are many more types other than these two. These are persuasive article writing and expository article writing.
(The image will be Uploaded Soon)
The most important among the types of article writings is SEO article writing. It has gained huge demand for this new generation. SEO article writing is nothing but the search engine optimization of the article that is written. The question that may arise here is how can one ensure that one’s article has achieved its goal.
To answer this question, one will have to do some research on the internet. There are several ways in which one can use most of the search engine optimization techniques. First, among them is to use keywords. Keywords refer to important words of the article that could be used several times in a paragraph or in the article to highlight the importance of the word. By doing this, the reader will be able to see the particular article among the first few results, when he searches for that category of articles in the search engines.
There are also many other options that are discussed below.
One must be consistent with using the keywords. The keywords must relate to the topic of the article; if it is not relevant to the topic, the keyword will not be considered to be effective.
While writing a news article, or any other article for that matter, one must ensure that there are no grammatical errors.
The authenticity of the article must be checked before it is uploaded on an online platform.
These are the minimum things that should be considered before one can improve one’s article writing skills. Though, in the case of writing a news article, the content of the article is of utmost importance. One should keep the content original and present it creatively.
On the internet, there are many article-writing examples available. It helps the writer who is writing an article for the first time, to understand the concept better. There is also an article writing example given below. Readers can refer to that example as well for a better understanding of the format of article writing.
Tips for Article Writing
Let us get to understand some of the points that you shall remember while attempting a topic of the writing section.
Understand your topic
For any given topic, you shall first be able to understand it clearly. You should be able to draw related inferences for everything that comes to your mind. Usually, in this step, your brain is flooded with a lot of thoughts and your job is to be able to identify and filter them based on your requirements. Attempting such questions without planning is never a good idea because your content will not be organised unless you organise the flow of the content. Hence, the best way before getting started with such questions is to make sure that you have a clearer picture of what the question is asking you and this way, you will be able to deliver captivating content.
Prepare an outline
Before starting the writing part, one should arrange the pointers in the correct sequence. It should be a logical sequence keeping in mind the objectives. Cross-checking each point whether it is relevant and needed to complete the content is again another point to be considered. Preparation of an outline is important as well as useful as it helps us know what to do next and how much is left. You should be careful while preparing an outline as it should contain all the topics and that too in the correct sequence.
Review and make relevant changes
Revisiting all the points by reading them again is one of the important tasks for a well-written part. While revisiting you might come across some of the content which is not required, so one should leave the unnecessary points which are making the content lengthy without adding quality and relevance to the content. Then, logically rearrange the points so that the important points come first in the sequence and others follow.
Now after keeping all the above-mentioned things in mind, start writing. With a strong and relevant introduction one should start, followed by the correct sequence of the points adding a necessary explanation. To the point information without unnecessary elaboration always adds perfection to content.
Edit and proofread
Last but not the least, an important aspect to be considered is proofreading. Before the final submission of content, you should go through the complete content once more. Again edit the unnecessary ones and complete them. After completing the entire process your content is ready.
Other important tips that can be used to produce a good piece of writing content are mentioned below. Students shall consider referring to them whenever they plan to conquer questions of such kinds.
Keep the list of your ideas handy as it will help you to organize your content accurately.
Make sure that you are sitting in a distraction-free environment so that your mind is able to focus and concentrate better.
One of the most important attributes of a good writer is being able to research well. When you research, you get to read more and this way there are a lot of new ideas that come to your mind.
Ensure that your content is simple. It means that you should avoid too fancy words because otherwise, your content would lose the relatability factor.
You shall also focus on making your content presentable. Adding bullet points or writing in small paragraphs might be a beneficial tip.
Adding keywords to your content is a game-changer. When you optimize your content, its value increases subsequently.
Lastly, be precise and let your content be captivating enough for the reader.
1. What is the Format of Article Writing?
Ans: The format of article writing is very easy and simple. One has to follow a few instructions to understand the format of the article writing.
Write a brief introduction in a paragraph.
Write a body of two to three paragraphs, including all the main content and points of the topic in these paragraphs.
Write a short conclusion of the article.
There is a picture attached below to give the readers a better view of the format of the article writing.
Did You Know?
Articles almost connect their readers with the content within a very short time. It is like a direct conversation with the reader.
The main aspect of article writing that attracts its readers is the content. The content must be interesting, else no one will read it.
The article must be simple and to the point. It must not be too complicated. If it is complicated, the readers will lose interest.
FAQs on Article Writing
1.How do I write an article with minimum mistakes and keep it to the point?
To write an article, one must keep in mind the following rules. This will ensure that the writer is making the least number of mistakes and will enable the writer to build self-confidence in the writing field.
The article should always be compact. It should include all the important aspects of the topic but still, be short and interesting.
It should include bullets, pointers, etc. to make it look interesting.
The article should have a minimum amount of grammatical errors, but the writer should not use too difficult words to convey the thoughts.
If one keeps the above points in mind while writing an article, it will not be a difficult task to achieve.
2.How to write an article by following three steps?
Many websites offer different steps to write an article. The steps mentioned below are the best in which one can write an article within a short time.
Step 1: Topic selection- An interesting topic should be selected so that the audience finds it attractive and reads the article.
Step 2: Research about your topic- After deciding on the topic, thorough research should be conducted on the same.
Step 3: Writing the article- Once done with both the above steps, it is time to turn the thoughts into words. One must write the article down, by following the format of the article writing.
Writing non-fiction - AQA Writing an article
Non-fiction texts are those that deal with facts, opinions and the real world. Many non-fiction texts follow specific conventions of language and structure.
Writing an article
This video can not be played
An example of how to structure and write an effective article
Here are a few places where you might expect to find an article:
- certain sections of a newspaper ( NB an article is different to a news report )
An article is a piece of writing (usually around 800-2000 words) about a particular topic. Sometimes an article will offer a balanced view of a subject. At other times an article might be biased close bias Prejudice or favour shown for one person, group, thing or opinion over another. towards a person or political standpoint.
An article might also be flavoured by the writer’s style. Depending on the purpose of your article, you might use very direct informative language or more poetic language to create a sense of the subject matter.
Here are some typical subjects covered by article writers:
- celebrities/famous figures (eg an article about an actor’s life and career)
The basic structure of an article for a newspaper, magazine or website, is usually in three parts:
- opening – engaging the reader, or outlining the main point of the article
- middle – a series of paragraphs that go into more detail
- end – a concluding paragraph that draws the points together
Within this structure you could also create a circular structure close circular structure A structure where the ending connects back to the opening, and creates a circle or thought. in which the conclusion connects back to the opening idea.
For example, an article about Kerala in India opens with the writer describing the view from a train. The middle section describes Alappuzha, the place the writer is travelling away from and goes into details about a boat trip they took there. In the concluding paragraph , the writer brings us back to the train and muses on the highlights of his trip.
The language of an article depends upon the purpose and audience . The language of the article will fit the content and the intended readers. For example, an article about a recent film release would include language that deals with actors, scripts and performance and is likely to include the writer’s opinions of the film.
Articles usually have a catchy, memorable headline . This helps to grab the reader’s attention and entice them to read the whole article.
Articles are usually written in Standard English close Standard English A form of speech that lays claim to a grammatical 'correctness' and clear pronunciation. This is sometimes called 'BBC English'. , but colloquial close colloquial Ordinary, everyday language and dialect. sayings or phrases might be used to emphasise a point. Literary techniques such as metaphor close metaphor A comparison made without using 'like' or 'as', eg 'sea of troubles' and 'drowning in debt'. and simile close simile A comparison using 'like' or 'as' to create a vivid image, eg as big as a whale; float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. make your writing more interesting and engaging. Persuasive devices , such as rule of three, rhetorical questions close rhetorical question A question asked just for effect with no answer expected. and hyperbole close hyperbole Over-the-top exaggeration for effect. can encourage the reader to agree with your point of view.
Here’s an extract from an article that tries to persuade the reader to eat a more balanced, healthy diet:
Eat Right: Live Longer
It has been scientifically proven that the less junk food a person consumes, the longer they are likely to live. So why isn’t everyone dumping the junk? Jordan McIntyre investigates.
Fast food equals fat
A staple part of twenty-first century British home-life is the weekly takeaway treat: finger-licking burgers, sticky ribs and crispy chicken wings are, for many, the normal Friday night feast. The average national calorie count in the UK is a whopping 4500 a day, a key factor in the obesity cases that are soaring. Fast food is packed with fat and obesity contributes to a range of health issues - most significantly heart disease and depression. So why aren’t we changing our lifestyles?
Short on time
Families these days are spending less and less time at home during the working week. School commitments, work meetings and extra curricular activities mean that time is short and fewer people are prepared to put in the effort to prepare fresh, healthy meals.
And when time is tight, it seems we are even more willing to compromise our waistlines for a little bit of what we fancy – fast fatty food.
Eat yourself healthy
However, Georgia Thomas of the University of Food says, ‘I am convinced that it is possible to live a busy lifestyle AND prepare healthy, satisfying meals. It seems that people have simply got out of the habit of cooking. We are busy people; how do we reward ourselves? You guessed it - food.’ Britain clearly needs to shift the stodge, and fast.
The headline grabs the reader's interest and introduces the article. The writer uses parallelism close parallelism When two things are parallel. In writing, this can refer to language patterns and structures. by using two imperative or command phrases 'Eat well' followed by 'live longer'. Alliteration is also used with the repetition of 'l'.
The rhetorical question in the opening paragraph encourages the reader to engage with the topic. The subheadings direct the reader through the text, and act as mini headlines. The writer uses colloquial sayings such as ‘a little bit of what we fancy’ and ‘shift the stodge’ to create a lively, conversational tone.
The final paragraph uses quotations from an expert close expert People who have a high degree of knowledge and skill in a certain field, eg a doctor is an expert in medicine. to add credibility to the argument. You would expect the article to go on to explore how we can eat healthily and to conclude with an explanation of how easy it is to do this.
More guides on this topic
- Audience, purpose and form - AQA
- Writing fiction - AQA
- Planning - AQA
- Organising information and ideas - AQA
- Using language effectively - AQA
- Vocabulary - AQA
- Personalise your Bitesize!
- Jobs that use English
- BBC Young Writer's Award
- BBC News: School Report
- BBC Writersroom
- Pearson Education
- Fast Past Papers
- TES: English resources Subscription
25,000+ students realised their study abroad dream with us. Take the first step today
Here’s your new year gift, one app for all your, study abroad needs, start your journey, track your progress, grow with the community and so much more.
An OTP has been sent to your registered mobile no. Please verify
Thanks for your comment !
Our team will review it before it's shown to our readers.
- Updated on
- Nov 8, 2023
There is so much to read and learn these days. Have you noticed how your favourite bloggers or writers come up with unique content on new topics almost every day? In the digital era, writers have to be extra careful about how they present their ideas. It should be collated in such a way that it influences a larger audience at the same time. However, article writing is not everyone’s cup of tea and needs creative thinking . Whether you want to pursue Content Writing courses or want to flourish your Journalism career , adhering to the structure along with presenting ideas in a well-structured way is what a writer needs to take care of. Yes, even articles have a distinct structure. Before delving into how to write an article should look, let us first understand the basics of it.
How To Be A Content Writer? [Step-by-Step 2022 Guide]
This Blog Includes:
What is article writing, objectives of article writing, tips for writing a good article, heading or title, byline or name of the author, body of the article, step 1: find your target audience, step 2: select a topic and an attractive heading, step 3: research is the key, step 4: write and proofread, step 5: add images and infographics, sample of article writing, article writing on covid-19 for students, article on my vision of india in the future, article writing topics, common mistakes to avoid in article writing, points to keep in mind, ppt on article writing , scope of article writing.
Playing a major role in society, an article is a piece of information that is written to influence or provide information to people at large. The form and the style of article writing may vary from one topic or writer to another. Yet, an ideal article provides all the relevant factual information to the people which catches their attention, allows them to think and triggers them to act. There are several types of articles, including:
- Expository article – The most common type of article, which allows the writer to disseminate information on any topic without imposing their own opinions.
- Argumentative article – An article in which the author poses a problem or issue, proposes a solution and provides arguments to support why their suggestions/solutions are good.
- A narrative article is one in which the author is required to narrate primarily in the form of a story.
- Descriptive article – An article written to provide a vivid description that allows readers to visualise what is being described. Using the appropriate adjectives/adjective phrases will assist you in writing a descriptive article.
- Persuasive article – An article written to persuade or convince readers to accept an idea or a point of view.
An article must be written with the following objectives in mind:
- It should bring the topic or subject of interest to the foreground.
- The article must discuss all the necessary information.
- It must make or suggest recommendations to the readers.
- It must be eligible to have an impact on the readers and make them think.
- The article must cover a wide range of topics, including people, places, emerging challenges, and technological advancements.
Here’s a step-by-step guide with plenty of helpful hints to help you write an excellent article in no time:
- The first and most important thing to consider when you decide to write an article is whether or not you are well-versed in the subject matter.
- The second question you must answer is why you are writing the article.
- The next thing you must consider is the type of audience for whom you are writing the article because you will not be able to write it in a way that will entice them to read it unless you know your audience.
- The language you use is critical because the article would be unable to sell itself without proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.
- Make use of keywords to attract a large number of readers.
- Maintain coherence between and within paragraphs.
- Regardless of the type of article, double-check the data and information you provide.
- Keep the title and description as brief and memorable as possible.
- Before it is published, it should be edited and proofread.
Know the Difference Between an Author and a Writer !
Article Writing Format
Whatever you wish to write, it is important for you to first know the structure of the article and then mention the details accordingly. Divided mainly into 3 sections- Heading, Byline and Body , let us have a look at the article writing format you should keep in mind while composing your piece of information.
The first thing to be noticed and the most important component in article writing is the heading/title. To draw the attention of the readers, it is important to give a catchy heading of not more than 5 to 6 words to the article.
Below the title comes the byline which states the name of the author who has written the article. This part helps the writer earn the actual credit that they deserve.
The body consists of the main content of an article. Be it story writing or article writing, it is completely upon the author to fix the length of the composition and the number of paragraphs that would embed the information. Generally, an article contains 3 or 4 paragraphs wherein, the first paragraph introduces the readers to what the article will be about and all the prerequisite information. The second and third paragraphs will cover the crux of the topic and here, all the relevant data, case studies and statistics are presented. Following this, the fourth paragraph will conclude the article where the solutions to the problems, as presented in the second and third passages (if any) will be discussed.
Also Read: How to Write a Book?
Step By Step Guide for Article Writing
After knowing the format, let us have a look at the 5 simple steps involved in the process of article writing:
Before writing on any topic, it is important for a writer to first identify the audience the article targets. It can be a particular group of people, children, students, teenagers, young adults, middle-aged, elderly people, business people, service class, etc. Whichever group of people you choose to write for, select a topic that directly or indirectly impacts their lives or spreads the relevant information.
For example, if the article focuses on parents, then you might write about child psychology, the daily nutritional diet of a child, etc. The tone and the language should also match the suitable audience in article writing.
After you have chosen your target audience, the second important step in article writing is to choose an apt topic for your composition. This gives an idea of how you should process with the article. After you select the topic, then think of an intriguing title for the same.
For example, if you want to make the students aware of the various MBA specializations available, you can write – “ Everything you need to know about MBA specializations ”.
Consequent to selecting your targeted audience, topic and title of the article, research is the most important thing in article writing. Read umpteen articles, statistics, facts, data, and new governing laws (if any) to get a hang of all the information to be incorporated in the article. Additionally, check the authenticity of the data, so that you do not state anything outdated. Before proceeding with the article writing, prepare a rough draft or an outline of the article in bullet points and keywords so that you don’t miss out on the important information.
Once you have collected all the facts and data, you can now begin your article writing. As discussed, start the article with an introductory paragraph, followed by a descriptive and a concluding paragraph. After you have written everything, it is pertinent to proofread your entire article and check whether there are any grammatical errors. As a reader, it becomes a major turn-off when you spot even the minutest of a mistake. Also, make sure that the content is not copied from some other website.
To make your content even more attractive for people to read, you can also include some infographics. Adding images makes the article even more engaging and it proves to be more influential. Thus making the purpose of your article writing successful!
Given below is a sample that can give you more clarity on how to write an impeccable article:
Know What is Technical Writing !
Covid -19 for Students By Sahil
Covid-19 has affected all sections of human life. While it affected all industry sectors it has a major impact on education. Classes were switched from offline to online at night but it created confusion among students, especially the ones that were about to enter college. Students even took a gap year hoping for the situation to get better. While schools and colleges are opening because vaccination is in full swing across the globe there are still many challenges.
Understanding COVID-19, how it spreads, and how to protect ourselves are the most important things to be learned first as soon as the school reopens. Students should know the rules they are going to follow and the benefits of following the covid-19 Safety Rules in the School Classroom. It’s very difficult to make the children understand because innocent minds may not get acquainted with the current situation.
To avoid the risk of contracting the Covid- 19, these rules should be followed by every student and school faculty at all times. Students must carry hand sanitisers at all times. Students should never sneeze on their hands, rather they should cover them with their elbows, or may use a tissue or a handkerchief. Inform students not to touch their eyes, nose, and mouth frequently. As chances are high that the virus gets spread through the touching of the eyes and nose. If students and teachers follow these basic rules, the spread can be stopped and schools can reopen.
My Vision of India in the Future By Aayush
Most of us have a psychological barrier to looking at India’s future vision, and those who perceive the future as coming straight out of the present typically have their perspective narrowed as well. I believe that the year 2050 will belong to individuals who strive to recognise diversity as a virtue in and of itself, rather than as a tool for combating new mental monocultures or a necessary compromise for social and ethical concord. In the future, India will be in the centre of the world, with variety valued as a goal in itself. My vision statement is neither a forecast of what will happen nor a wish list of desirable but unreachable goals.
It’s a statement of what we believe our country can achieve, given the level of concern that our current youth has about issues like corruption, pollution, and mismanagement of natural resources, among other things. Recognize that the elements that affect national development have changed in recent years and will continue to change in the future when imagining India in 2050. This is expected to create more opportunities than ever before.
The expanding impact and influence of India in domains such as technology, education, information, and productive skills supports the belief that India will attain and sustain higher economic growth and development in the decades ahead.
Do you have to write an article that is trending right now and will help you score better or help you practice better? Here is the list of current topics for article writing:
- Global Warming
- Environmental Pollution
- Impact of Internet
- Women Empowerment
- Education and Movies
- Value of Games in Education
- Yoga and Mind Healing
- Importance of Mental Health
- Importance of Education in Society
Explore some Creative Writing Topics
The likelihood of errors increases now that you understand the phases of article writing and the article writing format. The following are some examples of common blunders:
- Not using facts or quotes or similar cases
- Using a tone that is too formal
- Using difficult vocabulary without knowing its meaning
- Not using a catchy title for your article
- No use of paragraphs to bifurcate information
- Not expressing personal views or opinions
- The topics of the articles should be unique and relevant
- The article has to get the attention
- It has to be interesting
- It has to be easy to read
- Find the main goal of writing an article. The goal can be anything from providing information, entertainment, advice for comparing, etc.
- The title must be eye-catching, clear, and interesting
- The introduction or the starting paragraph must be highly attentive. Use your vocabulary skills or try to use some interrogative words at the start
- Use clear statements and make assertions
- Avoid repetition and over-the-top logic and reasons
- Use the style of paragraph writing and write the contents uniquely and unambiguously
- Avoid using the points which interest you only and not for the general public
- Always end your article writing on a good and logical note
6 Recommended Travel Writing Courses
- Article on the Importance of Education
- Article Rules
- Essay on Global Warming
- Essay on Internet
- Essay on My Aim in Life
- Essay on Education System
- Essay on Democracy
- How to Write a Career Goals Essay?
- Essay on Digital India
Whether you want to work as an article writer for your current employer or make a name for yourself in the journalism world, your voice and skill are in high demand. What matters is that you keep writing and learning.
The road may be difficult at first. Even if you have a good idea of who you are as a writer and where you fit best, there will be obstacles. At first, every writer experiences this.
Or you may have no idea what intrigues you or what format works best with your natural writing strengths. Keep your cool! You’ll keep learning as you go. When your work is published and assignments begin to flood your inbox, the road will become smoother.
When written well, it becomes a natural part of the audience’s experience. Article writers influence how content is presented and how people think. Even when trying to write someone else’s vision, your talent makes it worthwhile to read.
An article is a piece of information that is written to influence or provide information to people at large. The form and the style of article writing may vary from one topic or writer to another.
Not using facts or quotes or similar cases Using a tone that is too formal Using difficult vocabulary without knowing its meaning Not using a catchy title for your article No use of paragraphs to bifurcate information Not expressing personal views or opinions
The style of article writing varies from one topic or writer to another.
Thus, article writing is a form of art that improves only with practice and the right approach. If you want to pursue a career in a field where writing plays an essential role but are confused about the program then take the assistance of Leverage Edu ’s AI tool which will curate a list of the most suitable universities and courses that align with your professional goals!
Team Leverage Edu
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Contact no. *
Why people still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe everything is existing on web?
This blog was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which helped me. Cheers!
8 Universities with higher ROI than IITs and IIMs
Grab this one-time opportunity to download this ebook
How would you describe this article ?
Please rate this article
We would like to hear more.
Connect With Us
20,000+ students realised their study abroad dream with us. take the first step today..
Resend OTP in
Need help with?
UK, Canada, US & More
IELTS, GRE, GMAT & More
Scholarship, Loans & Forex
Which English test are you planning to take?
Which academic test are you planning to take.
Not Sure yet
When are you planning to take the exam?
Already booked my exam slot
Within 2 Months
Want to learn about the test
Which Degree do you wish to pursue?
When do you want to start studying abroad.